Have you ever heard of wellness? This English term, which means well-being, brings with it a much broader and more complete definition of what the translation of the word can denote.
The number of wellness enthusiasts – and those interested – is growing by the day and should remain so for a long time to come, as the benefits provided by this choice are capable of considerably improving a person’s life in virtually every respect.
Get a better understanding of what is understood in this world of wellness, what the areas are in which it operates and how it can help you in your day to day life. wellness needs to be exercised on a daily basis in order to find the necessary balance to lead a healthy life
What is wellness?
It is an active process of becoming aware and making decisions with the aim of having a healthy, complete and fulfilled life. Much more than being free of disease and problems, it is a dynamic process of change and growth that can be followed by all people, regardless of age, financial condition or any other criteria.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), it is a complete state of physical, mental and social well-being, and not just the absence of disease or infirmity.
In the opinion of the National Wellness Institute, which has existed for more than 40 years, it is a conscious, self-directed and evolutionary process so that it is possible to reach its full potential.
The bias of the explanation may vary a little, but it is clear that the definition of wellness is a healthy life in all aspects, which results in a daily experience that is simply incomparable.
According to the Global Wellness Institute, the world wellness market reached a value of US$ 3.7 trillion in 2015, equivalent to more than US$ 10 billion per day, a number that is very striking.
The “2018 Wellness Trends”, by the same entity, points out that companies with a high level of happiness show an increase of 37% in sales, 31% in productivity, 300% in innovation and 10% in customer satisfaction, in other words, their benefits can be felt even in the commercial world.
What are the areas of wellness?
After understanding, through numbers and statistics, how powerful this concept is, it is important to understand the 8 dimensions of wellness, which are as follows:
- Emotional well-being: related to understanding feelings and dealing effectively with stress. Attention should be paid to self-care, relaxation, reduction of nervousness and development of internal resources in order to learn and grow from each experience.
- Environmental well-being: inspires to live a lifestyle that respects what is around. This realm encourages you to live in harmony with the Earth by taking actions that can protect it. Everyone can strengthen their environmental awareness by paying more attention to the environment and their needs.
- Financial well-being: This involves the process of learning how to successfully manage financial expenses. Money plays a very important role in life, and not having enough (through its misuse) can impact health as well as academic performance. Financial stress is commonly regarded as a source of anxiety, exhaustion and fear for people.
- Intellectual well-being: related to the presence of an open mind to meet new ideas, as well as the continuity of knowledge expansion. It plays a fundamental role in active school, cultural and community participation.
- Occupational well-being: it is about taking advantage of your occupational efforts and appreciating your contributions. This dimension of well-being invites people to have more personal satisfaction and enrichment in life through work.
- Physical well-being: related to maintaining a healthy body and seeking care when necessary. It is strictly related to the practice of exercise, good nutrition and balanced sleep, besides always being attentive to the signs of illness and looking for health professionals whenever necessary.
- Social well-being: helps to play social roles in an efficient and comfortable way, which creates a powerful support network. This dimension allows not only a better relationship with others, but also helps in love relationships.
- Spiritual well-being: it allows the development of a set of values that helps to search for meaning and purpose in life. Spirituality can be represented in many ways, such as relaxation or religion. Being spiritually well is synonymous with knowing the resources that can be used to deal with what happens in everyday life.
How can we improve well-being in the most varied areas?
The key word when talking about this is persistence. After all, there are 8 different areas of life, although correlated, that is, what happens in one can directly influence the other.
Each dimension of wellness needs to be exercised on a daily basis in order to find the necessary balance to lead a healthy life. Some people find it easier with certain areas than others, but this is part of the process.
It is also interesting to note that some dimensions, such as physical, emotional, spiritual, financial and intellectual, can be considered as more introspective, while social, occupational and environmental require interaction with other people, activities, behaviors and situations.
It is necessary to have patience and perseverance, since the process is continuous and progressive, but it is certainly worth investing in the development of the areas of well-being, which is capable of making your life even better.
Seek to grow in every dimension of wellness!
Maintaining a high level of well-being is crucial to living a better life, since everything we do and the emotions we feel are related to the concept of wellness, and the reciprocal is also true, which forms a vicious circle.
Those who adopt actions, attitudes
Look for activities that can develop your dimensions of well-being, such as meditation for the spiritual, study for the intellectual, elderly gym or other age groups for the physical and anything that has the potential to do you good. Thus, you can become the newest adept of wellness and prove all its benefits!